PacificHealth Labs was founded with a singular purpose - to apply scientific discipline, natural ingredients and a passion for excellence to the nutritional challenges faced by endurance athletes. Although we are modestly sized by the standards of the industry, our research has upended conventional thinking on many aspects of sports nutrition, including protein utility and the benefits of caffeine. We have more peer-reviewed research standing behind our products than any other company in the market.
When you choose a PacificHealth product, know that we are athletes, fitness buffs and health nuts who are deeply concerned about what we put into our bodies. We swim in the same sea of information and do our best, using trusted scientific resources, to separate the wheat from the chaff, the fads from good science, and formulate our products to work for their intended use and be healthy over the long haul. Competition may be a motivator, but we also want to take great care of our bodies.
Before you choose any sports nutrition product, ask to see their science. If you find anything, expect to see anecdotal evidence about the possible benefits of the latest superfood or ingredient. Pay particular attention, if sources are cited, to the amount (dosage) of the ingredient demonstrated to provide a benefit. Most of our competitors will tout the benefits of a particular ingredient, but a little digging will reveal that the ingredient is included in such small amounts that it is unlikely to have any impact on performance. We love the industry, but caveat emptor, "buyer beware" and don't be swayed by clever marketing.
Here is a sampling of the research that has been done in connection with our products:
- The effect of eight weeks of supplementation with Eleutherococcus senticosus on endurance capacity and metabolism in humans, Kuo J, Kenny WC, Cheng I, et al. Chinese Journal of Physiology 53(2):105-111, 2010.
- Effects of Eleutherococcus senticosus (ciwujia) on fat metabolism and endurance performance in long distance runners, Kuo J, Chen CY and Lee N. Medicine & Science in Sports and Exercise 38(5):S401, 2006.
- Effect of ciwujia (Radix acanthopanacis senticosus) preparation on human stamina, Wu YN, Wang X, Zhao Y, et al. Journal of Hygiene Research 25(1):57-61, 1996.
- Effects of Recovery Beverages on Glycogen Restoration and Endurance Exercise Performance: Williams MB, Raven PB, Fogt DL, Ivy JL. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 17:12-19, 2003.
- Effects of Recovery Drinks After Prolonged Glycogen-Depletion Exercise: Williams MJ, Ivy JL, Raven PB. Medicine & Science in Sports and Exercise. 31(5):S124, 1999.
- The Effect of Two Sports Drink Formulations on Muscle Stress and Performance: Ready SL, Seifert JG, Burke E. Medicine & Science in Sports and Exercise. 31(5):S119, 1999.
- Carbohydrate Protein Complex Increases the Rate of Muscle Glycogen Storage After Exercise, Zawadzki KM , Yaspelkis BB,Ivy JL. Journal of Applied Physiology. 72:1854-1859, 1992.
- Carbohydrate-Protein Drink Improves Time to Exhaustion After Recovery From Endurance Exercise, Niles ES, Lachowetz T, Garfi J, Sullivan W, Smith JC, Leyh BP, Headley SA. Journal of Exercise Physiology Online. 4:45-52, 2001.
- Early Post Exercise Muscle Glycogen Recovery is Enhanced with a Carbohydrate-Protein Supplement, Ivy JL, Goforth HW Jr, Damon BM, McCauley TR, Parsons EC, Price TB. Journal of Applied Physiology. 93: 1337-1344, 2002.
- Post Exercise Protein Intake Enhances Whole-Body and Leg Protein Accretion in Humans: Levenhagen, DK, Carr C, Carlson MG. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 34: 828-837, 2002.
- Effect of an Isocaloric Carbohydrate Protein Antioxidant Drink on Cycling Performance, Romano-Ely BC, Todd MK, Saunders MJ, Laurent TS.Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 38 (9): 1608-1616, 2006.
- Postexercise Protein Supplementation Improves Health and Muscle Soreness during Basic Military Training in Marine Recruits
- Protein Added to a Sports Drink Improves Fluid Retention, Seifert JG, Harmon J, DeClercq P. International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism 16: 420-429, 2006.
- Effects of a Carbohydrate-Protein Beverage on Cycling Endurance and Muscle Damage, Saunders MJ, Kane MD, Todd MK. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. Jul;36(7):1233-8, 2004.
- Effects of a Carbohydrate-Protein Supplement on Endurance Performance During Exercise of Varying Intensity, Ivy JL, Res P, Sprague RC, Widzer MO.International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism. Sep;13(3):388-401, 2003.
- Carbohydrate-Protein Beverage Improves Muscle Damage and Function Versus Isocarbohydrate and Isocaloric Carbohydrate-Only Beverages, St. Laurent, T.J., Todd, M.K., Saunders, M.J., Rudy Valentine, R.J., and Flohr, J.A. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 38(5):S340, 2006.
- Inter Study Examination of Physiological Variables Associated with Improved Endurance Performance with Carbohydrate/ Protein Administration: Saunders, M.J., Todd, M.K., Valentine, R.J., St. Laurent, T.G., Kane, M.D., Luden, N.D. and Herrick, J.E. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 38(5):S113-S114, 2006
- Comparison of Responses to Exercise When Consuming Carbohydrate and Carbohydrate/Protein Beverages Valentine, R.J., St. Laurent, T.J., Saunders, M.J., M. Todd, M.K., and Flohr, J.A. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 38(5):S341, 2006.
- Effects of Six-Day Carbohydrate/Protein Intervention on Muscle Damage, Soreness, And Performance In Runners: Luden, N.D., Saunders, M.J., Pratt, C.A., Bickford, A.S., Todd, M.K., and Flohr, J.A. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 38(5):S341, 2006
- The Influence of a Carbohydrate/Protein Sports Drink on Soccer Sprint Performance: Kipp R, Seifert JG, Burke ER., European College of Sports Medicine, Salzburg, Austria. Müller, Schwameder, Zallinger, Fasternbauer, eds. P12V-02, p 451, 2003.
- The Effects of a Carbohydrate/Protein Drink on Skating Performance in Collegiate Hockey Players: Olson B, Seifert J. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 36(5):S13, 2004.
- Muscle Damage, Hydration and Energy Supplementation During Recreational Alpine Skiing: Seifert JG, Kipp RW, Amann M, Gazal O. International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism 15: 528-536, 2005.
- Gastric Emptying Characteristics of Carbohydrate/Protein and Carbohydrate Only Sports Drinks During Moderate-Intensity Exercise: Seifert, John G.; Schapman, John; Little, Tanya J.; Robins, Anna; Thompson, David G.; Portman, Robert. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise: May 2009 - Volume 41 - Issue 5 - p 192.
- The Effect of Carbohydrate and Protein Supplement on Resistance Exercise Performance: Baty, J.J., Hwang, H., Ding, S., Bernard, J.R., Wang, B., Kwon, B., Ivy, J. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 21(2), 321-329, 2007.
- Ingestion of a Carbohydrate-Protein Supplement Improves Performance During Repeated Bouts of High Intensity Cycling: Harmon JH, Burckhard JR, Seifert JG. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 39(5):S363, 2007.
- Attenuated CPK Following Carbohydrate/Protein Intervention Improves Subsequent Performance: Combest TM, Saunders MJ, Kane MD, et al. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 37(5), 2005.
- Influence of Carbohydrate-Protein Beverage on Cycling Endurance: Saunders MJ, Kane MD, Todd MK. American College of Sports Medicine. 1233-1238, 2004.
- Effects of a Carbohydrate-Protein Gel on Endurance and Post Exercise CPK in Male/Female Cyclists, Saunders MJ, Herrick JE, Luden ND. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research J Strength Cond Res, 2007 Aug; 21(3):678-84.
- Carbohydrate and Protein Gel Increases Finishing Success During Slalom Ski Race Training, Kipp R, Seifert JG, Bacharach D. European College of Sports Medicine, Belgrade, Serbia-Montenegro. Kikic, Zivanic, Ostojic, Tornjanski, eds. PP9-3, p 218, 2005.
- Effects of a Carbohydrate/Protein Gel on Exercise Performance in Male and Female Cyclists, Saunders MJ, Herrick JE, Luden ND, et al. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 2(1):1-30, 2005.
- Training Impulse is Lower for Alpine Skiers When Consumig a Carbohydrate-Protein Gel, Harmon JH, Burckhard JR, Seifert JG, Bacharach DW. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 38(5):S408, 2006.
- A Carbohydrate/Protein Energy Gel Improves Performance in Collegiate Swimmers, Seifert JG, McKenzie R. Presented at the 54th Annual Meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine.
- The Effect of Energy Supplementation on Markers of Muscle Stress During Indoor Rock Climbing: Conder, Brian; Davila, Edward; Croxford, Kristen; Seifert, John, Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise